Skip to main content

Because We Said So!

I was going to start with my "lessons", but I will end with them instead. As I realize some (if not most) people do not want to learn or feel "preached at" and will tune out, I will start with the "meat" of what I wanted to say.

I have written about a plethora of subjects here. I can tell you that yes, my opinions are represented, (hey, my blog, my forum, my opinions) however I do try to clearly distinguish pure opinion from facts whenever possible. I can also tell you that I try very, very hard to base my opinions on fact. One of the benefits of our modern, connected age is the access to almost unlimited data. From when I was a child (not of ancient times, but years ago) where a trip to the library was needed for extensive study on a subject, or using an encyclopedia that was outdated on contemporary subjects once it was printed; we have at our fingertips data to rival the greatest libraries and museums in the world. I do a LOT of research in coming up with my opinions. So, the internet and it's connections to this almost limitless base of data has been a great blessing to me. The ability to link to, read and study data and others opinions on almost any subject has been phenomenal. But, here is where the nexus of this post comes from...

I am finding it more and more difficult to find relevant unbiased raw data on any subject of  sociologically contentious debate. And, without trying to sound biased myself; data that is not biased to the politically correct norm is becoming especially difficult to find. I much prefer raw unfiltered data when I am researching a subject. However, in the past ten years or so (and especially in the past two or three) it is becoming more and more difficult to find this. Almost all the "facts" out there on any subject of societal concern is just opinion - or select facts presented to support that opinion.

I am old enough, and I hope wise enough to realize that not all of my fellow humans share my desire to research and learn truth. Many are too lazy, unconcerned, or distracted to care. Talking heads, think tanks, spin doctors, and others mired in the business of presenting opinion as fact have a vested interest in keeping this lack of dialogue going. I find it both appalling and very disheartening. A society of lemmings is not a free society at all. Dissenting opinions are both healthy and necessary for growth and the advancement of society and knowledge. If you don't believe that, think if humans had accepted the "facts" that diseases were caused by evil spirits, that the earth is the center of the universe, that the smallest unit of matter was the molecule (or even the atom). Dissension causes growth when properly directed.

My point - watch your sources of "facts". If you get your news from one (or even two) sources - shame on you. If you use social media at one of those sources without any fact checking - double shame on you. A majority of what is out there today as fact is nothing more than an agenda.

Now, for the "lessons". Please note these and do some fact checking if you like! I am not going to do explanations of these. If you care to get additional data on any - they are listed in multiple posts on this site.

1) There is no government money.
2) Corporations do not pay taxes - people do.
3) Corporations do not exist to create jobs or provide benefits.
4) Minimum wage jobs are not and were never meant to support a family or even be a permanent occupation.
5) Term limits are critical to getting things done in government. We must get Congress and the bureaucrats rolled over to truly give the power back to the people.

Be kind and learn something REAL every day.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Thoughts and Ideas for 2024

 If you are truly pressed for time, just read the bold, italicized, and underlined sentences. That won't take you long at all! Another year has passed and if you are reading this, a new one is getting ready to start (or has started) for you. New Year’s celebrations are a time for reflection on what has happened and also a chance to start anew. New Year’s resolutions are a manifestation of this. Weight loss plans, gym proprietors, exercise equipment makers, and others know this. If you have watched any TV, gone online, or read any magazines or newspapers you know that the people that make their living selling and signing people up for those things are hitting it hard. We like new beginnings and the chance to reset and set new goals. Losing weight, stopping smoking, cut back or stopping drinking, and other things a lot of folks see as improvement are at the forefront of our collective thoughts and efforts this time of year. Although not a real advocate of New Year’s resolutions, I

Houston (and Miami, L.A., New York City, Winston-Salem, etc), we have a problem!

People, we have a real problem with our government. I can see a lot of you clicking away - "He's getting political again". BUT WAIT - READ ON. This not specifically a political problem, at least not a political problem specific to one party. We have a systemic and pervasive problem with our elected "representatives" in government. It affects the government at all levels. It is much more of a problem as you get farther away from the voters - ie Washington vs your town hall, but it is a problem everywhere.  It is to the point now that if you are a member of one party, anything a member of the other party comes up with of any significance is said to be wrong. I know this is a bit of an overstatement; but I submit, not much of one. There are still a few important issues that are worked on in a bipartisan manner, but not many and usually not by the "leadership" of the parties. As I said above, this is not a Republican problem nor a Democrat problem. Both

Take two and call the ambulance in the morning

Here we go. I have been working on this one for a long time. I want to start by letting any of you that do not know me (and reminding those that do) - I am NOT a doctor. I have no formal medical training at all. What is listed here is documented reality and my evaluations of those facts.   I have been doing a LOT of studying and reading about what I now believe to be one of the biggest medical hoaxes in human history - the demonization of cholesterol and fats. First, some background. The cholesterol as killer philosophy is relatively new. However, the entire premise is flawed. The thought that cholesterol is bad was taken from the fact that plaque buildup in artery walls contains high amounts of cholesterol. The problem is, cholesterol is there because that is one of it's jobs. Finding cholesterol in arteries (BTW, finding plaque buildups in veins does not happen, more in a bit) and saying it causes the blockages and disease is like noting that every time you see a car wreck