Skip to main content

Squirrels with chainsaws

This has nothing to do with squirrels or chainsaws, I just thought that was a GREAT title. Plus, someone will google 'squirrels with chainsaws" and they will get this. I have always bored my kids talking about places I have been and people I have met. I was thinking today that I wanted to make a list of famous (or almost famous) people I have met. When I say I met them, I am not talking about seeing them across a room or hearing them speak. I am talking about having a conversation or more. Here you go - Political - Al Gore - then Senator Gore from Tennessee. I was his chauffeur for a ride to and from a rally we were having on Capitol Hill. I have a flag that flew over the Capitol and a letter from him thanking me. Richard Burr - then sales manager Burr from Winston-Salem, NC. I was in retail and he was working for a distributor trying to sell us products. Jesse Helms - on various occasions Jesse Jackson - at the time, he was running for president of the U.S. I was on an elevator, and he and his security got on. Athletes - Hakeem Olajuwon - then a center for the Houston Rockets David Thompson - then a forward for N.C. State. I actually played several pickup games with him on one side or the other. Joe Namath - then a retired pro quarterback. I gave him a cab ride in Ft. Lauderdale. Garo Yapremian - then the kicker for the Miami Dolphins. Unfortunately for him, most famous for the "pass" he threw in the Superbowl that went nowhere (except to the Redskins). I actually have (or had) a tie that a company he started and ran made. Tommy John - then a retired pro baseball pitcher. Now most famous for the "Tommy John" surgery on elbows that he was the first recipient of. Entertainers/Personalities - Sinbad - then a stand up comic. Heather Locklear - then a relatively new face on TVs B.J. & the Bear Alan King - then the "godfather of stand up comedy" Jay Leno - then a stand up comedian and sometimes substitute host for the Tonight Show. Hulk Hogan - then a #1 draw in the wrestling world Roger McQuinn - then a rock and roll legend in the hall of fame for his work with the Byrds. I actually had lunch with him (and three or four others)at Skywalker Ranch in California. Tom Scott - one of the greatest jazz sax players in the world Dave Grusin - one of the greatest jazz pianist and composers in the world Three Dog Night - just after their career peaked in the early 70s. I was actually working security at their concert in Ft. Lauderdale and got assigned to the backstage area. I also saw them last year at a show by LG, and rode the elevator with two of them. Bob Denver - at the time, pretty much retired. He looked OLD! Also on an elevator. Eddie Egan - was running the security agency I worked for when I did the Three Dog Night concert. EE was the REAL detective that did the French Connection drug bust (that the movie was taken from). Buddy Martin - of Sox & Martin racing. I worked for Buddy for six or seven years in retail. If I could only list the people Buddy knew and talked to on the phone, this would be great! (every famous racecar driver you have heard from in the 60s and 70s) Alice Cooper - was eating dinner at a table next to ours at at steakhouse in Scottsdale, AZ. We traded greetings. He was with his Mom and was not too talkative. Business People Ray Kroc - founder of McDonald's - one of my jobs was in management for McDonald's Corp. I was first assistant manager at the McDonald's nearest to the Krocs Ft. Lauderdale home. I had dinner with him in our restaurant on two occasions. Sam Wurtzel - founder and chairman of WARDS Company - the company that owned the Circuit City Stores and eventually changed its name to Circuit City. I worked for WARDS at a time they were small enough for Sam and his son Alan to attend and participate greatly in our manager meetings in Richmond, VA, their home. H. Taylor Howard - the "father of the satellite dish". Taylor was the chairman of the board of SPACE, the satellite industry trade organization when I served on the board in the eighties. He built his own "earth station" to see what he could pick up in the late 70s or early 80s and the helped design systems for his friends co-workers and neighbors. He then founded Chapparal, the first company to built satellite equipment for home use. He worked at Stanford and JPL for years. He was a brilliant man. I have had this in the draft stage for over a week. I am going to post this today (Sat 6/21) and I will add to it as I remember them.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Thoughts and Ideas for 2024

 If you are truly pressed for time, just read the bold, italicized, and underlined sentences. That won't take you long at all! Another year has passed and if you are reading this, a new one is getting ready to start (or has started) for you. New Year’s celebrations are a time for reflection on what has happened and also a chance to start anew. New Year’s resolutions are a manifestation of this. Weight loss plans, gym proprietors, exercise equipment makers, and others know this. If you have watched any TV, gone online, or read any magazines or newspapers you know that the people that make their living selling and signing people up for those things are hitting it hard. We like new beginnings and the chance to reset and set new goals. Losing weight, stopping smoking, cut back or stopping drinking, and other things a lot of folks see as improvement are at the forefront of our collective thoughts and efforts this time of year. Although not a real advocate of New Year’s resolutions, I

Houston (and Miami, L.A., New York City, Winston-Salem, etc), we have a problem!

People, we have a real problem with our government. I can see a lot of you clicking away - "He's getting political again". BUT WAIT - READ ON. This not specifically a political problem, at least not a political problem specific to one party. We have a systemic and pervasive problem with our elected "representatives" in government. It affects the government at all levels. It is much more of a problem as you get farther away from the voters - ie Washington vs your town hall, but it is a problem everywhere.  It is to the point now that if you are a member of one party, anything a member of the other party comes up with of any significance is said to be wrong. I know this is a bit of an overstatement; but I submit, not much of one. There are still a few important issues that are worked on in a bipartisan manner, but not many and usually not by the "leadership" of the parties. As I said above, this is not a Republican problem nor a Democrat problem. Both

Take two and call the ambulance in the morning

Here we go. I have been working on this one for a long time. I want to start by letting any of you that do not know me (and reminding those that do) - I am NOT a doctor. I have no formal medical training at all. What is listed here is documented reality and my evaluations of those facts.   I have been doing a LOT of studying and reading about what I now believe to be one of the biggest medical hoaxes in human history - the demonization of cholesterol and fats. First, some background. The cholesterol as killer philosophy is relatively new. However, the entire premise is flawed. The thought that cholesterol is bad was taken from the fact that plaque buildup in artery walls contains high amounts of cholesterol. The problem is, cholesterol is there because that is one of it's jobs. Finding cholesterol in arteries (BTW, finding plaque buildups in veins does not happen, more in a bit) and saying it causes the blockages and disease is like noting that every time you see a car wreck