Skip to main content

Red Letter Day

I spend about 40 nights a year in hotels and motels. I do the ones from the middle range to the upper end. (Comfort Inns to Westins) It is always nice to be recognized. I spent Wednesday night in a Comfort Suites in Colonial Heights, Virginia. I have stayed at the hotel previously, but not lately. It is a relatively new place, and had just opened when I was there the first time. I noticed one time when I was on the road looking for a place to stay (I had not made a reservation because I did not know where I was going to end up) that they had two spots out front for the Platinum Elite members of their rewards program. Now I was a bit offended by this as I am a Diamond Elite member (the top) and there were no spaces set aside for me. I did not get a room there that night because they were sold out. I decided that day that I would stay there and comment on the parking spaces when I did. Well I ended up there this past Wednesday as I said, and I did see the parking spaces for the Platinum members. As I walked into the hotel I also saw a space for the "Guest of the Day" as well. I was going to comment on that as well when I got to the front desk. I did not understand why they tied up three prime parking spaces for "fluff". When I walked into the lobby, the front desk lady was busy with another customer. I looked around and saw the reader/message board (you know with the stick on letters) by the desk. I did a double take because of something that caught my eye - it was my name! (you know how you sometimes see your name or something close even in a page of letters) It said "Comfort Suites wants to welcome our Guest of the Day - Scott Poole! Hey I felt like a beauty queen being handed the roses! (I didn't even get asked a question where the answer is "for the children" or "world peace" - no tiara though) It was awesome! When I got to the counter - I proudly gave my name and kind of discretely pointed to the sign. The lady kind of looked at me like she was figuring out what kind of disease I had where I had a pronounced tic. Then it dawned on her - she was actually checking in the "Guest of the Day". I am sure it was the highlight of her day! Right in front of her was the Guest of the Day who happened to be a Diamond Elite rewards member. (I would love to see her diary entry for the day, it had to be memorable) After appropriate congratulations, I was given my prizes! I got a gift bag! In it was a mug, some water, some cookies (oh happy day!), some conditioner (I guess the shampoo was for the previous winner, who knows - but hey it was Pantene - no Suave or store brand, this was for the Guest of the Day after all) and a discount coupon for Macy's - I am pleased to tell you it was for 11% off - hey, not 10% but 11%. If that is not taking care of the Guest of the Day - I don't know what is!! (Does Macy's sell shampoo?) Now for the real reward. I got the pass to park in the special parking space!! The Holy Grail of rewards - a prime parking space. This must be how the winner on a game show feels. I finished the check in process, got my key card, and picked up my gift bag. I PROUDLY walked through the lobby - by the Guest of the Day sign, waiting for the recognition I was sure would come. I slow walked by the sign, but as fate would have it, no one came in during my parade. Oh well, fame is fleeting. I did not even use the special parking space. I had already parked my car. You would think someone would have offered to move the car for the Guest of the Day. Questions?

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Thoughts and Ideas for 2024

 If you are truly pressed for time, just read the bold, italicized, and underlined sentences. That won't take you long at all! Another year has passed and if you are reading this, a new one is getting ready to start (or has started) for you. New Year’s celebrations are a time for reflection on what has happened and also a chance to start anew. New Year’s resolutions are a manifestation of this. Weight loss plans, gym proprietors, exercise equipment makers, and others know this. If you have watched any TV, gone online, or read any magazines or newspapers you know that the people that make their living selling and signing people up for those things are hitting it hard. We like new beginnings and the chance to reset and set new goals. Losing weight, stopping smoking, cut back or stopping drinking, and other things a lot of folks see as improvement are at the forefront of our collective thoughts and efforts this time of year. Although not a real advocate of New Year’s resolutions, I

A Serious One -

OK, the second in one day - something is going on! I wanted to do a blog on perspective. Life and our evaluation of it is based a LOT on perspective. I got a great example of this yesterday. My wife is disabled!! Officially. Perspective - - - On face value, that would not appear to be a good thing. Disability is not to be cheered. Ah, official disability is (or can be). My seventeen year old was here yesterday when my wife opened the letter and we were cheering for disability. She made a comment that is was weird that we were happy with Mom being disabled. I explained we weren't, but... My wife's condition is affected not one bit by what the doctors, bureaucrats, or anyone else labels it. She is no more nor no less disabled or ill than prior to getting the letter. However, getting the letter signifies official legal acceptance of her disability. That will hopefully lead to a lessening of the financial burdens of her condition and let us deal exclusively with the physical

Even more Questions

You may get this more if you read (or re-read) these older posts: "A Serious One" from 4/6/08 "Alphabet diseases" from 11/13/07 and "Questions" from 1/20/08 I am still trying to get answers to the Questions asked in the post above. I have not found any that are worthy of printing. I have come up with more questions: How does one handle seeing the continual decline of their spouse and not being able to do a thing about it? How do you take the inability of your 53 year old wife to get out of bed, or in and out of the shower unaided? How do you answer questions that beg not to be asked, like: will I see Bailey (our daughter, a rising senior)graduate; will Hannah (our granddaughter - almost 3) remember me; or will I see Landon (or grandson - 6 months) walk? How do you comfort your bride of 35+ years when she looks at you with tears streaming down her face? Most of all, how do you offer support and help when you are so damn mad at the world and the situa