Skip to main content

Various musings

Some random thoughts - ( I started this three days ago and have gone back to it now - so it may be a bit disjointed; but, I want to get it out) 1) Although I do not wish anyone else to be unemployed; I have a tip for all CEOs. If you look at your company, evaluate your staffing, check your productivity, etc - and find that there are THOUSANDS of people that you could let go and still remain in business - DO IT! Again, I don't wish to add anyone to the ranks of the unemployed - but I am amazed at the companies that keep announcing layoffs of 5,000 here and 10,000 there. I know I have worked mostly for smaller companies, but in most cases if someone was/is out sick - we all have trouble getting a bathroom break! I have worked for some companies with thousands of employees; but in the divisions I was in - if someone took a long lunch - we had trouble covering. So, again - all CEOs and such - take stock of your employees. If there are enough to cover lunch and three people out sick - let one or two go. It may be thousands later. 2) I really don't understand the people that are waiting for the government to solve their problems and make their life easier. Name something other than military that the government does better than private enterprise. Can anyone say - DMV? Veteran's hospitals and other services? Government purchasing ($100 hammers, $500 toilet seats, etc)? Government forms and paperwork? Government (aka Public) schools? And more, and more? That is why I can't imagine why anyone would want the government to take over any more of our lives. Government healthcare? Bailouts? Just say NO to government. Government can't cure our problems, in a LOT of cases government IS the problem. Tell your elected officials. 3) Speaking of government, I see where the Senate has now voted to delay the conversion to digital TV broadcasting four months, until June. This is idiotic. There will still be people in June of 2010 that are out of touch with digital broadcasting. I know this subject is probably not as meaningful to most of you as it is to me (I sell TVs, among other consumer items), but I had to moan a bit. This is another great example of how government can screw up anything. The entire process has been doomed from the start. The major purpose of the change was to free up a lot of broadcast spectrum to be auctioned for new services and to provide extra communication services for first responders. This became an obvious problem after 911, and the government guaranteed they would do something about it. Then, Katrina showed they had not. Now, years later - they delay. 4) I want all the people that voted for Obama because they wanted CHANGE to note all of the people he has surrounded himself with. For the most part they are ex-Clinton administration and/or lifelong politicos. There are also a LOT of folks with questionable ethics. How about a guy proposed to run the Treasury department (IRS and more) that had not paid his taxes? There are others with just as questionable a problem. But, we got change. B.S. We got hosed. Get ready for more. There is more, but I am tired.

Comments

I was amazed at the ex-pats who HATED the gov't (Bush) but wanted Universal Healthcare and to send their children to public schools.
But they HATED the government.
This made sense to them...

Popular posts from this blog

Thoughts and Ideas for 2024

 If you are truly pressed for time, just read the bold, italicized, and underlined sentences. That won't take you long at all! Another year has passed and if you are reading this, a new one is getting ready to start (or has started) for you. New Year’s celebrations are a time for reflection on what has happened and also a chance to start anew. New Year’s resolutions are a manifestation of this. Weight loss plans, gym proprietors, exercise equipment makers, and others know this. If you have watched any TV, gone online, or read any magazines or newspapers you know that the people that make their living selling and signing people up for those things are hitting it hard. We like new beginnings and the chance to reset and set new goals. Losing weight, stopping smoking, cut back or stopping drinking, and other things a lot of folks see as improvement are at the forefront of our collective thoughts and efforts this time of year. Although not a real advocate of New Year’s resolutions, I

Houston (and Miami, L.A., New York City, Winston-Salem, etc), we have a problem!

People, we have a real problem with our government. I can see a lot of you clicking away - "He's getting political again". BUT WAIT - READ ON. This not specifically a political problem, at least not a political problem specific to one party. We have a systemic and pervasive problem with our elected "representatives" in government. It affects the government at all levels. It is much more of a problem as you get farther away from the voters - ie Washington vs your town hall, but it is a problem everywhere.  It is to the point now that if you are a member of one party, anything a member of the other party comes up with of any significance is said to be wrong. I know this is a bit of an overstatement; but I submit, not much of one. There are still a few important issues that are worked on in a bipartisan manner, but not many and usually not by the "leadership" of the parties. As I said above, this is not a Republican problem nor a Democrat problem. Both

Take two and call the ambulance in the morning

Here we go. I have been working on this one for a long time. I want to start by letting any of you that do not know me (and reminding those that do) - I am NOT a doctor. I have no formal medical training at all. What is listed here is documented reality and my evaluations of those facts.   I have been doing a LOT of studying and reading about what I now believe to be one of the biggest medical hoaxes in human history - the demonization of cholesterol and fats. First, some background. The cholesterol as killer philosophy is relatively new. However, the entire premise is flawed. The thought that cholesterol is bad was taken from the fact that plaque buildup in artery walls contains high amounts of cholesterol. The problem is, cholesterol is there because that is one of it's jobs. Finding cholesterol in arteries (BTW, finding plaque buildups in veins does not happen, more in a bit) and saying it causes the blockages and disease is like noting that every time you see a car wreck