Skip to main content

Spending and Collecting


I have been thinking about doing a somewhat (or overt) political ad for this election season. I had decided not to. This is not so much a political ad as it is an attempt at 'spainin' about the deficit and tax revenues in relation to the tax cuts that went into effect last year.

First some numbers on what has happened to the economy due to the tax cuts and the reduction in regulations that the administration has put into place. Unemployment at record lows, employment participation growing for the first time in decades; more importantly, black and hispanic unemployment both at record lows. Consumer confidence is at an 18 year high which bodes well for the important Christmas shopping season and the economy in general. More importantly, tax revenues are UP! (if you car to follow up on that - I did a study on tax revenues following every major tax change over the past decades. I have facts and figures and even a spread sheet where I combined most of the numbers I crunched. Bottom line - tax revenues go up when taxes are cut. Something the Democrats and even other entrenched politicians cannot accept because it puts their money flow at risk.

Like all of you I have been inundated with all the political ads for this election (tomorrow as I write this). I have been traveling and I watch TV online, so I see ads from all over the country. It is surprising how similar the ads are - from both parties. You can substitute candidates and the ads are almost identical. There have been a lot of lies and falsehoods I have heard - from both sides. There has been one theme with the Democratic candidates ads that have really surprised me and made me want to do this post. Democrats have almost NEVER been worried about budget deficits historically. In this election season I have seen mention after mention of how the deficit is growing under the current administration and they imply it is due to the horrible tax cuts. That is pure hyperbole (fancy word for B.S!). Here are the facts:




Now, that is neither here nor there for today except that I did not hear a single Democrat complaining about deficits then. (to be fair I don't hear an Republicans complaining about them now).Now, as always I checked this many times. It is ridiculous how hard it is to find this data. I sometimes think the politicians don't want us looking at it! There are some variations due to rounding and other ways of computing things, but this is a good snapshot. The one thing to note is that this is NOT using constant dollars. There has been an 18% growth in the CPI from 2008 to 2018 so the numbers in 2018 when compared are actually quite a bit higher. Again, for comparison purposes, this works. One thing I want you to not is that 2018 is the HIGHEST revenue year of all time. That is AFTER the tax cuts. The deficit growth, although high, comparably not too bad. If this was an Obama era deficit it would be lower than four of the one during his 8 years, equal to one, and higher than 3. The Obama years almost exactly doubled the national debt during the 8 budgets. That means that in 4 years, the Obama administration had as much debt as every other administration TOGETHER!

Tax cuts are not the issue. The spending is out of control. We are spending tremendously more money than we were just 10 years ago. If you hear about cuts to anything, realize that is hyperbole as well (BS, remember?). Yes there have been some small cuts to some things but overall the government is spending like a sailor on shore leave with a bonus check in their pocket.

That is all. FYI the series of three tax cut and revenue posts are: https://www.blogger.com/blogger.g?blogID=4047852223042054038#editor/target=post;postID=9169442785323973641;onPublishedMenu=allposts;onClosedMenu=allposts;postNum=11;src=postname
https://www.blogger.com/blogger.g?blogID=4047852223042054038#editor/target=post;postID=7855907237906729050;onPublishedMenu=allposts;onClosedMenu=allposts;postNum=10;src=postname
https://www.blogger.com/blogger.g?blogID=4047852223042054038#editor/target=post;postID=6169404039027593762;onPublishedMenu=allposts;onClosedMenu=allposts;postNum=9;src=postname
I hope those work. If not look a number of posts back for names with taxes in the title. There is a #1 - 3.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Fame is Fleeting and some bug stuff

Well I am writing this from the scene of one of my latest moments of glory - the Comfort Suites in Colonial Heights, Va. For those of you that do not take notes of all my achievements - that was the hotel where I was (drum roll please - ) Guest of the Day about a month ago. I drove up (and parked in the Platinum Elite member space - I might add) gathered my goodies and headed in. I thought of pulling a hat down over my head and putting my collar up to hide from the photographers and autograph fans, but I had no hat and the crowds just were not really a problem. I ambled to the front desk and it was the same girl! Surely here the recognition would reign! But as I approached her I glanced to the reader board - the same reader board that not so long ago was praising me as Guest of the Day! I staggered a bit under the realization that there was another name on MY sign! Then it hit me - Guest of the Day! I had lived my glorious 24 hours and now it was time to move on. OH WOE IS ME. I curse

Thoughts and Ideas for 2024

 If you are truly pressed for time, just read the bold, italicized, and underlined sentences. That won't take you long at all! Another year has passed and if you are reading this, a new one is getting ready to start (or has started) for you. New Year’s celebrations are a time for reflection on what has happened and also a chance to start anew. New Year’s resolutions are a manifestation of this. Weight loss plans, gym proprietors, exercise equipment makers, and others know this. If you have watched any TV, gone online, or read any magazines or newspapers you know that the people that make their living selling and signing people up for those things are hitting it hard. We like new beginnings and the chance to reset and set new goals. Losing weight, stopping smoking, cut back or stopping drinking, and other things a lot of folks see as improvement are at the forefront of our collective thoughts and efforts this time of year. Although not a real advocate of New Year’s resolutions, I

Even more Questions

You may get this more if you read (or re-read) these older posts: "A Serious One" from 4/6/08 "Alphabet diseases" from 11/13/07 and "Questions" from 1/20/08 I am still trying to get answers to the Questions asked in the post above. I have not found any that are worthy of printing. I have come up with more questions: How does one handle seeing the continual decline of their spouse and not being able to do a thing about it? How do you take the inability of your 53 year old wife to get out of bed, or in and out of the shower unaided? How do you answer questions that beg not to be asked, like: will I see Bailey (our daughter, a rising senior)graduate; will Hannah (our granddaughter - almost 3) remember me; or will I see Landon (or grandson - 6 months) walk? How do you comfort your bride of 35+ years when she looks at you with tears streaming down her face? Most of all, how do you offer support and help when you are so damn mad at the world and the situa