Skip to main content

We're Just a Brick in the Wall


Recently, I reposted on Facebook a synopsis of the votes in Congress relating to the government shutdown and funding. A co-worker/friend posted a response (which I have included below in its entirety to be fair and to make sure I addressed all points.  Here is what I posted:

Image may contain: text

Here is his response in black: (I did omit a link he also posted to an article/story from CNBC going into the certainty of a government shutdown, otherwise this is all of it) My response is in RED following each of his comments.

 First, Trump said, on national television, that he would own the shutdown. 

Trump is owning the shutdown as much as he can. He has said what he wants in the budget and has professed to not accept or sign a budget without it. It is the Constitutional responsibility of Congress (specifically the House of Representatives, with oversite participation of the Senate and the Executive branch) to draw up and pass a spending bill. Then the President has the responsibility to sign it or veto it. Congress has been very lax in doing their job since the budget process was changed by Congress in 1974. In fact, since 1977 (the first year the new budget process went into effect) they have only met the mandated deadline for a budget three times! (imho, a Constitutional violation that they gave themselves a loophole to go through with the new bill) This is true of Congress led by both Democrats and Republicans alike and with Presidents of both parties. The new budgeting/spending bill came about because Congress was “upset” due to the President not spending all the Congressionally allocated monies (Nixon was concerned about inflation and was not spending all the funds allocated for certain programs), so they changed the process to where Congress has more control over actual spending than the Executive branch. (But that is a different subject.) FYI a spending resolution is not a law or bill, so it does not even require the President’s signature. Congress could agree on that and then see if the President would sign it if it became a spending bill. I do not consider it a waste of money at all, especially compared with some of the immense waste that Washington is party to!


Second, Democrats weren't against funding the government, they're against wasting $5 billion on a wall that won't accomplish the intended objective because the majority of undocumented immigrants arrive legally and overstay their visas. Meanwhile, it will threaten endangered species and waste valuable resources. I'm a bit surprised that you would support such wasteful spending and would argue that it would be more effective to remove the incentives that draw them in (such as by punishing employers that hire people that aren't authorized to work in the USA). It's also worth noting that long term undocumented immigrants have increased in number since we've tightened border security. 

Now to the wall. First, I will have to say I do not understand anyone that opposes a wall. Throughout history (and currently – Hey, the Obamas are in a court battle over a wall around their home they built) humans have built walls to keep people and creatures both in and out of areas where they are unwanted. Famous examples are: The Great Wall of China, Hadrian’s Wall, the Berlin Wall, and more currently the Gaza Wall. I understand the spending argument to some degree. However, the US government spends over 12 BILLION dollars a day, every day of the year. I find it hard to be upset about taking less than half a days spending to protect our most insecure border.
As to the “majority of undocumented immigrants (I will admit it pains me to refer to them that way – they are illegals, period) arrive legally and overstay their visas.” That is not true from any facts and figures I can find – even on sites that support illegals! It does appear that in recent history more visa violations have occurred than just illegal entry, that is highly likely due to increased border security. The figures I did find state that from a low of just under 40% to a high of 48% if illegals are in the USA on expired visas. So, let’s use 50%. If there are just under 11 million illegals in the USA (let’s use 10 million, one to be even more forgiving and two to keep the numbers round), half of 10 million is 5 million illegals here that are not on expired visas. For the most part, we know nothing about them or their history. The folks here on expired visas, thought wrong, do not bother me nearly as much. At least they went through some sort of vetting process to get the visas. Some identity was validated and at least some minimal background checks were done. (a side note – when I applied for my visa to go to China in 2015, I had to get a letter from our Chinese supplier stating that we had a relationship. It also held them responsible for me if I did not leave the country per the terms of the visa -also another story).
Illegal entries are estimated. Obviously, there is no exact way to know the number of people that enter the country illegally. We do know how many are caught and stopped trying to do so. This number has dropped dramatically in the past few years as border security has tightened. However, the number is still averaging just shy of 40,000 a month on the southern border! This is from a low of @25,000 in 2015 to a high of 44,000 in 2016) Now, from research I have found the estimated effectiveness of the CBP in border security. It is from a low of 40% to a high of 60%. (again, no one knows for sure – so lets use the 60% number) That would mean that 26,666 people are entering the US through the southern border illegally each month. (40,000 = 60% of N, solve for N) A wall may not stop this totally (never underestimate the ingenuity or will of a dedicated criminal!) but it would have to help! If nothing else it would allow the CBP to patrol specific areas with confidence that others were secure.
As for the animal population: I consider that so much fluff and noise. Animals are more adaptive than humans in most situations. I think the large majority would adapt and move on with their lives. (This reminds me of the spotted owl issue decades ago in the NW USA. The I will say however, if we can prevent illegals of the type that killed the policeman in California this past week or killed the girl on the pier with her family a while back – I am all for it! Even if it means some animals die.
The one point we do agree on is working on punishing and tightening controls on companies that hire illegals. There are laws in place, and maybe we need more. The biggest thing that would help here is enforcement. Sanctuary cities and governments that warn illegals of raids by ICE are a large barrier to these laws. I am for severe punishment of anyone that aids and abets an illegal to avoid ICE or any other law of the USA.

"Speaking after the Senate advanced the House legislation, Schumer said he offered the White House three proposals to keep the government running. One was the bill the Senate passed Wednesday, to fund the government through Feb. 8 without wall money. Trump previously threatened to veto the measure, which caused House Republicans to abandon it Thursday and instead pass a bill with funds for the barrier included."

I obviously can’t dispute or argue these points. I can refer you back to my original statement about how the budgeting process works. It is the Congress’s job to come up with the spending bill. Then the President has the decision to make on signing or not signing it.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Fame is Fleeting and some bug stuff

Well I am writing this from the scene of one of my latest moments of glory - the Comfort Suites in Colonial Heights, Va. For those of you that do not take notes of all my achievements - that was the hotel where I was (drum roll please - ) Guest of the Day about a month ago. I drove up (and parked in the Platinum Elite member space - I might add) gathered my goodies and headed in. I thought of pulling a hat down over my head and putting my collar up to hide from the photographers and autograph fans, but I had no hat and the crowds just were not really a problem. I ambled to the front desk and it was the same girl! Surely here the recognition would reign! But as I approached her I glanced to the reader board - the same reader board that not so long ago was praising me as Guest of the Day! I staggered a bit under the realization that there was another name on MY sign! Then it hit me - Guest of the Day! I had lived my glorious 24 hours and now it was time to move on. OH WOE IS ME. I curse

Thoughts and Ideas for 2024

 If you are truly pressed for time, just read the bold, italicized, and underlined sentences. That won't take you long at all! Another year has passed and if you are reading this, a new one is getting ready to start (or has started) for you. New Year’s celebrations are a time for reflection on what has happened and also a chance to start anew. New Year’s resolutions are a manifestation of this. Weight loss plans, gym proprietors, exercise equipment makers, and others know this. If you have watched any TV, gone online, or read any magazines or newspapers you know that the people that make their living selling and signing people up for those things are hitting it hard. We like new beginnings and the chance to reset and set new goals. Losing weight, stopping smoking, cut back or stopping drinking, and other things a lot of folks see as improvement are at the forefront of our collective thoughts and efforts this time of year. Although not a real advocate of New Year’s resolutions, I

Even more Questions

You may get this more if you read (or re-read) these older posts: "A Serious One" from 4/6/08 "Alphabet diseases" from 11/13/07 and "Questions" from 1/20/08 I am still trying to get answers to the Questions asked in the post above. I have not found any that are worthy of printing. I have come up with more questions: How does one handle seeing the continual decline of their spouse and not being able to do a thing about it? How do you take the inability of your 53 year old wife to get out of bed, or in and out of the shower unaided? How do you answer questions that beg not to be asked, like: will I see Bailey (our daughter, a rising senior)graduate; will Hannah (our granddaughter - almost 3) remember me; or will I see Landon (or grandson - 6 months) walk? How do you comfort your bride of 35+ years when she looks at you with tears streaming down her face? Most of all, how do you offer support and help when you are so damn mad at the world and the situa