Skip to main content

Come to the Light!


Anyone notice a similarity between those photos? As I am out and about these days I notice that more and more any interaction that people are having is with the device in their hand and not with the world (or people) around them. Now, I am guilty of this as well, but I do try to be mindful of not looking at my phone constantly. I especially try to keep my phone in my pocket when with other people in a social setting.

Cellphones and tablets are interesting devices from a psychological perspective. There have been studies and articles written showing that the "reward" we get from a "like", a text, a tweet, et al, is comparable to a drug. The reward center in our brain becomes "addicted" to this influx of internal "drug". Have you noticed that a lot of people "can't" put their phone down? (can't is in quotes as obviously they CAN do it, but chose not to) Even when in front of someone they care a great deal about or an important person for their success, their phone seems to dominate their attention.  HR managers now complain that some people can't seem to put their phone down during interviews. A major complaint on dating sites is that the other person is spending too much time with their phone versus actively engaging with their date.

Facebook, Twitter, Snapchat, Reddit, Pinterest, and the rest of what I call ANTI-social media are one of the biggest grabbers of attention. Going back to the reward center thing, getting the responses and positive feedback is gratifying enough that people gravitate to these sources as opposed to the person sitting across from them. The anonymity of the screen is one part of it. Getting tens, hundreds, or even thousands of approvals is much more of a motivator than the possibility of one approval from the person we are with.

I know I come off as an old man (and I guess by some standards - I AM!) but I do wonder what all this instant gratification, anonymity, and ability to connect with people without personal contact or true communication is doing to our ability and even our desire for true interaction and discourse. I also wonder why some are more interested in communicating with distant others instead of those sitting in the same room with them. It is only in the past twenty years or so that the cellphone networks have become widespread and reliable enough that we can accept calls, texts, and messages instantly from almost anywhere we are. It now seems people feel it is critical to handle what is coming in over their phone with no regard to the people they are with.

I also wonder wonder what the phone and tablet are doing to our children. The reward centers are being stimulated in ways we as a species have never had young developing brains exposed to in our history. That these young brains are being rewired is a given. As to the effects on the personality and the brain function in the future, we are going to have to wait. This is a huge experiment that is being performed on a large portion of our next generation. Then, when you look at the fact that these devices are surrogate parents in a lot of cases and parents are paying more attention to their phones over their children, I wonder what that is doing to social development as well. (as an aside, this post was somewhat motivated by a lunch I had this past weekend - at the restaurant I was at there were many parents and children. Very, very few of the parents interacted with their children even a fraction of the time they devoted to their phones.)

Sorry, I have to check my phone. It just beeped at me...


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Thoughts and Ideas for 2024

 If you are truly pressed for time, just read the bold, italicized, and underlined sentences. That won't take you long at all! Another year has passed and if you are reading this, a new one is getting ready to start (or has started) for you. New Year’s celebrations are a time for reflection on what has happened and also a chance to start anew. New Year’s resolutions are a manifestation of this. Weight loss plans, gym proprietors, exercise equipment makers, and others know this. If you have watched any TV, gone online, or read any magazines or newspapers you know that the people that make their living selling and signing people up for those things are hitting it hard. We like new beginnings and the chance to reset and set new goals. Losing weight, stopping smoking, cut back or stopping drinking, and other things a lot of folks see as improvement are at the forefront of our collective thoughts and efforts this time of year. Although not a real advocate of New Year’s resolutions, I

A Serious One -

OK, the second in one day - something is going on! I wanted to do a blog on perspective. Life and our evaluation of it is based a LOT on perspective. I got a great example of this yesterday. My wife is disabled!! Officially. Perspective - - - On face value, that would not appear to be a good thing. Disability is not to be cheered. Ah, official disability is (or can be). My seventeen year old was here yesterday when my wife opened the letter and we were cheering for disability. She made a comment that is was weird that we were happy with Mom being disabled. I explained we weren't, but... My wife's condition is affected not one bit by what the doctors, bureaucrats, or anyone else labels it. She is no more nor no less disabled or ill than prior to getting the letter. However, getting the letter signifies official legal acceptance of her disability. That will hopefully lead to a lessening of the financial burdens of her condition and let us deal exclusively with the physical

Fame is Fleeting and some bug stuff

Well I am writing this from the scene of one of my latest moments of glory - the Comfort Suites in Colonial Heights, Va. For those of you that do not take notes of all my achievements - that was the hotel where I was (drum roll please - ) Guest of the Day about a month ago. I drove up (and parked in the Platinum Elite member space - I might add) gathered my goodies and headed in. I thought of pulling a hat down over my head and putting my collar up to hide from the photographers and autograph fans, but I had no hat and the crowds just were not really a problem. I ambled to the front desk and it was the same girl! Surely here the recognition would reign! But as I approached her I glanced to the reader board - the same reader board that not so long ago was praising me as Guest of the Day! I staggered a bit under the realization that there was another name on MY sign! Then it hit me - Guest of the Day! I had lived my glorious 24 hours and now it was time to move on. OH WOE IS ME. I curse