Skip to main content

Going on Record (and it ain't vinyl)


As I am writing this we are in the middle of our latest "end of the world" scenario. The disease Covid-19 (or officially the SARS-CoV-2 virus) is destroying our world.

My issue is, most of the destruction is being caused by the overreaction to the disease. There are about 7.7 Billion people alive at this moment on Earth. There are currently under 300,000 cases confirmed of Covid-19 world-wide. That number won't even calculate as a percentage without severe scientific notation (here it is for those of you interested - 3.896103896103896e-5) Even if this gets 100 times worse and we have 3,000,000 million cases it is STILL too small to show up on a calculator ( just drop the -5 to -4 in the scientific notation number - 3.896103896103896e-4‬). If it gets 1,000 time worse that will make it show up on a calculator. It will be 3.89% of the population. So 4% of the population would be infected IF this gets 1,000 times worse (and I will admit, it could). However, based on what the WHO and CDC is reporting, 80% of cases are to be compared with a cold. It can be a bad cold or a mild cold, but a cold. So that leaves us with well under 1% that needs/requests medical care (0.77% for those of you keeping score) Out of that number an even smaller percentage will face death. 

Let me get something out here, I am not making light of the fact people are dying, or even getting sick. I am trying to put this in perspective. There are few things that we all share as humans. One of those is death. Around 60 Million humans die annually. Sadly a lot of those are preventable. My wife died of a statistically insignificant disease. Do you think the disease was insignificant to her, or me, or any of her family? NO, of course not. I am just trying for perspective by using mathematics and statistics.

Speaking of statistics, here are some causes of death around the world (these are worldwide numbers - FYI, heart disease is number 1 by a long shot, and cancers - combined - are number 2)

53,000 people die from exposure - extreme heat or cold
120,000 die by fire
126,000 hepatitis
500,000 malnutrition of some type (either a lack of specific nutrients or starvation)
295,000 people drown (these are annual figures folks!)
619,000 die from malaria (a disease we have a treatment for and know how to stop)
793,000 by suicide (all are horrible, but this is profoundly sad to me)
950,000 HIV/AIDS
1,180,000 Tuberculosis (which we have a vaccine for and treatments for)
1,240,000 vehicular injury (crash or being struck by a car)

This are just examples. Now for the "biggie": Influenza - the seasonal flu. 
Flu kills 50 to 100 million EVERY YEAR! 

My point is, we have tragically lost @12,000 humans to Covid-19. There is no argument that the number will grow, maybe by a lot. However statistically this disease, so far, is insignificant.

Why does it matter, you ask? At least here in the USA, a quasi-free country, we have given up our freedom of movement, of association, and other civil liberties. Our economy is being wrecked (if not already) by panicked people making irrational decisions. Entire industries are being ransacked, maybe never to recover. All over 12,000 deaths and a promise of more.

To quote a very bright old white guy: "Those who would give up essential Liberty, to purchase a little temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety." Benjamin Franklin

Or to quote a pretty sharp old white woman: "If we gave up our freedom as the price of security, we would no longer be the great nation that we are." Ruth Bader Ginsburg.

This is me going on record that I think the reaction and actions to this disease are ridiculously overblown. (we shall see in a year when the blog reminds me of this post, if not sooner)


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Fame is Fleeting and some bug stuff

Well I am writing this from the scene of one of my latest moments of glory - the Comfort Suites in Colonial Heights, Va. For those of you that do not take notes of all my achievements - that was the hotel where I was (drum roll please - ) Guest of the Day about a month ago. I drove up (and parked in the Platinum Elite member space - I might add) gathered my goodies and headed in. I thought of pulling a hat down over my head and putting my collar up to hide from the photographers and autograph fans, but I had no hat and the crowds just were not really a problem. I ambled to the front desk and it was the same girl! Surely here the recognition would reign! But as I approached her I glanced to the reader board - the same reader board that not so long ago was praising me as Guest of the Day! I staggered a bit under the realization that there was another name on MY sign! Then it hit me - Guest of the Day! I had lived my glorious 24 hours and now it was time to move on. OH WOE IS ME. I curse

Thoughts and Ideas for 2024

 If you are truly pressed for time, just read the bold, italicized, and underlined sentences. That won't take you long at all! Another year has passed and if you are reading this, a new one is getting ready to start (or has started) for you. New Year’s celebrations are a time for reflection on what has happened and also a chance to start anew. New Year’s resolutions are a manifestation of this. Weight loss plans, gym proprietors, exercise equipment makers, and others know this. If you have watched any TV, gone online, or read any magazines or newspapers you know that the people that make their living selling and signing people up for those things are hitting it hard. We like new beginnings and the chance to reset and set new goals. Losing weight, stopping smoking, cut back or stopping drinking, and other things a lot of folks see as improvement are at the forefront of our collective thoughts and efforts this time of year. Although not a real advocate of New Year’s resolutions, I

Even more Questions

You may get this more if you read (or re-read) these older posts: "A Serious One" from 4/6/08 "Alphabet diseases" from 11/13/07 and "Questions" from 1/20/08 I am still trying to get answers to the Questions asked in the post above. I have not found any that are worthy of printing. I have come up with more questions: How does one handle seeing the continual decline of their spouse and not being able to do a thing about it? How do you take the inability of your 53 year old wife to get out of bed, or in and out of the shower unaided? How do you answer questions that beg not to be asked, like: will I see Bailey (our daughter, a rising senior)graduate; will Hannah (our granddaughter - almost 3) remember me; or will I see Landon (or grandson - 6 months) walk? How do you comfort your bride of 35+ years when she looks at you with tears streaming down her face? Most of all, how do you offer support and help when you are so damn mad at the world and the situa