Skip to main content

Some Random Thoughts of the Day


The definitions are based on the Merriam-Webster online dictionary and my own interpretations - some much more the latter than the former. The thoughts are all mine...

Intelligence - n. the ability to learn and/or understand thoughts, concepts and ideas; the ability to reason.
Knowledge - n. accumulation of facts and of knowing something through experience or association - learning.
Experience - n. gaining knowledge through or being affected by observation or participation in an activity or event.
Wisdom - n. the application of intelligence and knowledge with understanding, tempered with experience.

I have a lot of formal as well as experiential learning. I have done many, many hours of study in classrooms, seminars, courses; and through the great schoolroom of life. In all this I have met many very intelligent young people. Many of these intelligent youth had already attained great, if limited, knowledge; at least the kind that can be learned from a book or class. Very few had any real-world experience in what they knew, and even less had the wisdom to apply their learning to real life.

There was a reason the founding fathers put a minimum age of 35* to be qualified to be President of the United States - wisdom is only gained through experience and knowledge. We are allowing our young to make demands to change society based on their limited life experience and wisdom. Some of that is good. As one ages one usually becomes more "set in their ways" and averse to change. The young can temper that with their youthful fire for change. However, a 20 year old college student does not have the knowledge, experience, or wisdom to truly evaluate what effect their desired change may have on the world. As an aside, I know there have been calls to allow children as young as 16 to vote. That would be a grave error, in my opinion. I would say anyone that thinks that voting for the leader of the free world takes less knowledge, experience, and wisdom than it takes to decide to have an alcoholic beverage (or operate a motor vehicle alone in some States) is an idiot themselves.

*interestingly, 35 was at best "middle aged" in 1776. If one lived to the age of 10 - not a definite by any means - a male could expect to reach the age of about 60. (as an aside, if you made it to 60 in reasonable health, you could expect to live until you were 75 or so)

Racism - n. the belief that race determines human traits and actions.
Bigotry - n. intolerance towards those that hold different opinions from oneself.

It is extraordinarily racist for someone to assume I am racist just because of the color of my skin - which happens to be white. To judge someone by the color of their skin - whatever that color may be - is racist. 
It is extraordinarily bigoted for someone to disregard my opinions or thoughts just because of the color of my skin or my age. To exempt my opinions because I am older and white is bigoted.

Colleges and Universities are meant to expose students to differing ideas and thoughts as a means of gaining experience and perspective. To ban ideas that make people uncomfortable or do not meet current ideas and thoughts is a grave mistake. "Safe spaces" where certain speech and ideas are limited is not how people grow and learn. The exposure to different ideas as well as dialog with those that hold them is critical to gaining wisdom to becoming a mature adult.

Riot - n. a violent public disorder.
          v. to create or engage in a riot.

This country was literally built on protest - and a war, but it started with protests. Protestation against the government and anyone in power is vital to the growth and freedom of our country. The Founders and those that demanded the Bill of Rights be added to the Constitution felt so strongly about the ability to protest and raise grievances against the government that it is guaranteed in the 1st Amendment.

Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion, or prohibiting the free exercise thereof; or abridging the freedom of speech, or of the press; or the right of the people peaceably to assemble, and to petition the Government for a redress of grievances.

Note that they also included the modifier of "peaceably" and the verb "petition". 

The so-called "protests" that are happening in a lot of cities as I write this are not being performed "peaceably" in most cases. Burning, looting, and destroying public and/or private property is not a protest, it is a riot. Protesting is a right. Rioting is a crime. Period. The people participating in these illegal actions should be prosecuted to the full extent of the law. I also believe if they are engaging in endangering life, of law enforcement or the general population, whatever force necessary should be taken against them.

That is all. Talk amongst yourselves. As always cogent and civil comments are welcomed and will be published.


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Thoughts and Ideas for 2024

 If you are truly pressed for time, just read the bold, italicized, and underlined sentences. That won't take you long at all! Another year has passed and if you are reading this, a new one is getting ready to start (or has started) for you. New Year’s celebrations are a time for reflection on what has happened and also a chance to start anew. New Year’s resolutions are a manifestation of this. Weight loss plans, gym proprietors, exercise equipment makers, and others know this. If you have watched any TV, gone online, or read any magazines or newspapers you know that the people that make their living selling and signing people up for those things are hitting it hard. We like new beginnings and the chance to reset and set new goals. Losing weight, stopping smoking, cut back or stopping drinking, and other things a lot of folks see as improvement are at the forefront of our collective thoughts and efforts this time of year. Although not a real advocate of New Year’s resolutions, I

A Serious One -

OK, the second in one day - something is going on! I wanted to do a blog on perspective. Life and our evaluation of it is based a LOT on perspective. I got a great example of this yesterday. My wife is disabled!! Officially. Perspective - - - On face value, that would not appear to be a good thing. Disability is not to be cheered. Ah, official disability is (or can be). My seventeen year old was here yesterday when my wife opened the letter and we were cheering for disability. She made a comment that is was weird that we were happy with Mom being disabled. I explained we weren't, but... My wife's condition is affected not one bit by what the doctors, bureaucrats, or anyone else labels it. She is no more nor no less disabled or ill than prior to getting the letter. However, getting the letter signifies official legal acceptance of her disability. That will hopefully lead to a lessening of the financial burdens of her condition and let us deal exclusively with the physical

Fame is Fleeting and some bug stuff

Well I am writing this from the scene of one of my latest moments of glory - the Comfort Suites in Colonial Heights, Va. For those of you that do not take notes of all my achievements - that was the hotel where I was (drum roll please - ) Guest of the Day about a month ago. I drove up (and parked in the Platinum Elite member space - I might add) gathered my goodies and headed in. I thought of pulling a hat down over my head and putting my collar up to hide from the photographers and autograph fans, but I had no hat and the crowds just were not really a problem. I ambled to the front desk and it was the same girl! Surely here the recognition would reign! But as I approached her I glanced to the reader board - the same reader board that not so long ago was praising me as Guest of the Day! I staggered a bit under the realization that there was another name on MY sign! Then it hit me - Guest of the Day! I had lived my glorious 24 hours and now it was time to move on. OH WOE IS ME. I curse