Skip to main content

Hey buddy, wanna buy a bridge?

Over the past months I have noticed a real increase in the insurance commercials that tell me and all who are listening about the money I could be, should be, would be saving if I switched to Allstate, Geico, Progressive, State Farm, 21st Century, et al. This got me to thinking (as only I can and do, evidently) what idiot is paying these high prices any more? Where is he or she? I picture Rog, the hermit, living in a mud hut in the middle of the desert. No TV or radio, just a 1958 pickup with 286,000 miles on it for running into town every six months for mouthwash and toothpicks. He has no idea that the set of eyes he feels on the back of his neck at those weird times is the money he could be saving.... He is still paying $352, or $602, or $424 too much because he does not know better. WE, on the other hand are well educated as to the fact that Progressive will tell us who is the cheapest; or that Dennis Haysbert would use his sonorous voice to assure him that Allstate would save him money AND christen his first born. He does not know he could switch to almost ANY darn company EXCEPT for the ONE HE IS WITH NOW and save HUGE bucks! Now I am for the small businessman as much as anyone. But, considering insurance is one product we buy that we never want to use - I believe we should pay as little as possible (while actually getting coverage IF we ever do need it). Buying insurance from your second cousin Bob's neighbor's son Zeb is not really fiscally responsible. WATCH THE COMMERCIALS!!

Comments

Anonymous said…
There are plenty of people with those policies, though, believe it or not. One dirty trick that all of them use -- Geico did it to me -- is that if you have any sort of a loss (mine was a minor parking lot fender bender), they'll raise your rate and put you with a "substandard" writer.

I switched to State Farm and saved hundreds, myself, but that's primarily because Geico raised my rate and then when the "accident" fell of my record, they didn't lower them back down.

Kindof like the wireless providers who raise your rates incrementally over the years, hoping you won't notice that they have a plan that would save you $50 a month if you signed up as a new customer.

-- Frogward

Popular posts from this blog

Even more Questions

You may get this more if you read (or re-read) these older posts: "A Serious One" from 4/6/08 "Alphabet diseases" from 11/13/07 and "Questions" from 1/20/08 I am still trying to get answers to the Questions asked in the post above. I have not found any that are worthy of printing. I have come up with more questions: How does one handle seeing the continual decline of their spouse and not being able to do a thing about it? How do you take the inability of your 53 year old wife to get out of bed, or in and out of the shower unaided? How do you answer questions that beg not to be asked, like: will I see Bailey (our daughter, a rising senior)graduate; will Hannah (our granddaughter - almost 3) remember me; or will I see Landon (or grandson - 6 months) walk? How do you comfort your bride of 35+ years when she looks at you with tears streaming down her face? Most of all, how do you offer support and help when you are so damn mad at the world and the situa...

Late Night (early morning?) Thoughts

I was laying there trying to go to sleep last night (without much success, as I have a toothache), and my mind was wandering. I don't know about your mind, but when mine wanders....whoa! (just look at some earlier posts) So, I was thinking about George Washington (what...you don't think about our founding fathers when you are lying there trying to go to sleep?) and how he was called "the Father of our Country". I further thought that there is not a "Mother of our Country" (unless Martha gets it by default, but I don't think so). Then I started thinking about "family" or relationship nicknames. This is to be a participatory blog. I want you all to write back with the ones you think of that I missed. Here are the ones I thought of (I was up quite a while with my tooth!): Father of our Country, the Founding Fathers, Uncle Sam, Mother Earth, Mother Nature, Mother of all battles (or bombs), a priest is called - Father, a Mother Superior runs a conv...

Simple Pleasures

I am writing this on the morning of a departure. My wife and I are heading back home after the better part of a week in Florida. I had a business reason for coming, and with family here - she joined me. It is wonderful to see a daughter that we do not see nearly enough and to visit with a Mother/Mother-in-law as well. Yesterday between the day to day activities that must be done, I spent a large amount of time sitting in a lounge chair in a marvelous screened-in "porch" area of my Mother-in-Law's house. It was in the mid-70s to upper 70's while I was sitting, but with a fantastic cooling breeze most of the time, and a ceiling fan to fill in the lulls. The sky was a tropical blue with cottony clouds that cruised by with the lazy drift of a tube on a river. I was able to start and finish a novel yesterday by killing off the majority of it sitting in this splendor . I just wrote a comment on my sister's blog. This post is somewhat in response to myself for that com...